Drink of the Month
The Orange BulletRecipe by Ayron Vandergriff
Star Bar, Austin
This reminds me of the Bourbon 'n' 7(up)s my parents (the best of sweethearts) used to drink back when retro cool was invented. Ginger ale gives it a little more zip. For a sizzling version, use a wee bit of Maine Root Ginger Brew.
- 1¼ oz. Bulleit Bourbon
- ¾ oz. PTO
- Ginger ale
In a large old-fashioned glass filled with ice, combine bourbon and PTO. Top off with a splash of ginger ale. Stir. Go on, you know you want to throw a cherry in there.
From Dale DeGroff's The Essential Cocktail
Valentine's Day falls on a Sunday this year, so what better way to start the day than sharing a Mimosa with your sweetheart. Even Dale says it's okay to put a floater on top. With PTO, we call it a Turbo Mimosa.
- 2 oz. fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 4 oz. Champagne
- ½ oz. PTO (substituted for Cointreau)
- Orange zest for garnish
Pour the orange juice into a flute. Fill gently with Champagne and the drink will mix itself; there's no need to stir, which would just wastefully dissipate the bubbles. Top with a float of PTO for an appealing little extra kick, and garnish with the orange zest.
More Valentine ideas
- Pink drinks are romantic. Make cosmos with vodka, PTO, and either cranberry or pomegranate juice.
- Swap cranberry juice for the orange juice in the Mimosa for a pink sparkler.
- Muddle strawberries with equal parts vodka and PTO and add a little lime juice. Strain into a martini glass.
- Chocolate and orange are a fantastic combination. Shake equal parts PTO, chocolate liqueur (Godiva is yummy), and half-and-half over ice and strain into a martini glass to make the Paula Alexander.